VertFuture is specialized in Microsoft B2B and EAI technology.
VertFuture employee received Microsoft™ Biztalk MCP certificate ...
VertFuture is certified as the Small Disadvantage
Business by the federal government. Click on the "More Info" button to learn the
benefit to contract with VertFuture.
David C. Li, Ph.D.
Phone: (267) 218 2491
|Objective: Technical lead consultant in the areas of
Enterprise Application Integration (EAI), B2B integration or Data Warehousing.
|Education: Ph.D. Department of Chemistry, University
of Pennsylvania, August 1995.
B.S. Department of Chemistry, University of Science and Technology of
China (USTC), June 1989.
|Skills: Major skills are listed below.
- Architecture/Design pattern: Service Orient Architecture (SOA), Object Oriented Architecture, N-tier architecture, Message oriented architecture, Loosely coupled system, Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), B2B integration and Enterprise Application Integration (EAI).
- Software:Visual Studio .NET 2003/2005/2008/2010, BizTalk Server 2000/2002/2004/2006/2006R2, SharePoint Server 2007, SQL server 6.0/6.5/7.0/2000/2005/2008, SAP, InfoPath, Crystal Report, Microsoft Project, WebLogic Server 6.0/6.1/8.1, IBM MQSeries 5.2, iPlanet LDAP Directory Server 5.1, webMethods B2B Server/Developer 3.51, Borland JBuilder 5/6/7/8/9 Enterprise, Symantec Visual Café, Borland Delphi, Sonic Stylus Studio, XML Spy, XML Authority, Easy Access 2000, Yantra, Oracle 7.0/8.0/9i/10g, SQL Navigator, Toad, ERWin, SQLPlus, Rational Rose and Primavera.
- Platforms: .NET Framework 1.1/2.0/3.0/3.5/4.0 and J2EE
- Languages: C#, VB.NET, Java, C, C++, XML, XSLT, XPath, DTD, XSD, SQL and Transact-SQL, PL/SQL.
- Operating systems: Windows 2003/2008 server, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000 server, Window NT 3.51/4.0 server, Window 95, UNIX, Linux and Macintosh OS.
|Certification: Microsoft Certified Professional of Designing
and Implementing Solutions with Microsoft BizTalk Server 2000, Enterprise
Peer Recognition Award, Air Products. (February 2003, March 2003 and April
Recognition Award - Employee of the Year 1998, Users Inc.
Special Recognition - 100% Club Award Winner 1998, Users Inc.
Recognition Award - Employee of the First Quarter 1998, Users Inc.
Graduate Student Travel Award, American Physical Society. (Dec. 1994).
Outstanding Student Awards, USTC. (Feb. 1989, Feb. 1988, Feb. 1987).
|Publications: What can JCA Adapters Do? Java Developer
Journal, Volume: 07 issue: 03. March 2002.
Microsoft Solution Architect, Confidential (August 2009 – Present)
Sr. Project Lead, Confidential (June 2008 - April 2009)
- Provided architectural solutions to the client's FundSuiteArc system from its infancy stage to its full production stage with more than 40 implemented clients. FundSuiteArc is client's next generation shareholder reporting system. It is an enterprise application designed under SOA and n-tier architecture and developed using Microsoft Silverlight 4.0, .NET framework 4.0, WCF, SSIS and Microsoft SQL server 2008. It also integrates with client's existing document rendering engines.
- Application and integration architecture design using SOA, n-tier architecture and loosely coupled integration design.
- Infrastructure architecture design with mission critical features such as strong security, high availability, load balancing and disaster recovery.
- Non-Functional Requirements (NFR) collection.
- Technical gap analysis and solution proposal.
- Load testing and capacity/infrastructure planning.
- System performance tuning.
- Production issue analysis and resolution.
- Project managements.
- Documentation for internal and external uses.
Lead Consultant, Confidential (Nov 2006 - April 2008)
- Provided BizTalk workshop and training for an insurance company. Analyzed the company’s integration requirements, designed the high level enterprise architecture, provided prototyping for critical scenarios and led training effort for the employees.
- Led a core architecture team and established SOA design for a large railway equipment manufacturer. The efforts includes analyzing and prototyping the integration points with various backend systems, designing data warehouse architecture, designing core database architecture, analyzing and selecting communication and integration technologies for canonical data layer, shared business layer and front end applications.
- Designed, developed and deployed the Monthly Project Review (MPR) application for the above manufacturer. The application provides monthly project review in the areas of budget, cost, revenue, cash, invoice and margin. Microsoft BizTalk 2006 R2 is used to provide data and process integration between backend systems SAP and Primavera. Microsoft SQL server 2005 is used to provide a data warehouse and a core database. Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 is used to deliver front end application. SSRS and web parts are used to provide reports, financial dashboard and KPI. SOAP based web service and WCF are heavily used to provide loosely coupled, service oriented communication among application layers. SilverLight, Entity Framework, Microsoft InfoPath 2007, BizTalk Adapter 3.0 for mySAP and custom RFC for SAP are also heavily used.
Consultant, Confidential (Nov 2005 - Oct 2006)
Established BizTalk development framework and guideline and led a team of BizTalk developers through the full development life cycle of the BizTalk applications of the client’s commercial lending system ("Beacon" project). Developed and supported 10 applications including party management, partner management, account management, pricing, rate card, submit decision, submit approval, re-pricing, contract integration etc.
The BizTalk system serves as the business process engine in a middleware environment. The middleware system is designed in a loosely coupled, service oriented architecture (SOA). The BizTalk system interacts with IBM message broker through MQ queues and web service. It also interacts with several autonomous systems such as SuperTRUMP, Vertex, ICV, LoanPath and iWay directly through web services or indirectly through IBM message broker. Microsoft BizTalk 2006 orchestration, web service, MQ, XPath/XSLT, C# and SQL were heavily used. System load balancing and fail-over architecture were designed and planed. Fine tuning work was performed to remove performance bottleneck and to shorten performance latency.
Consultant, Confidential (Part Time, Aug 2006 - Sept 2006)
Heavily involved in the design and development of the front-end and the middle tier of a large scale clinical study application. The application is used by client to manage study, assay, storage, sample, CRO, worklist and other study related entities. The application uses Microsoft architectural framework Composite UI Application Block (CAB) and Model View Presenter pattern to achieve modular development on the UI tier. Its n-tier architecture design separates data tier, business tier and UI tier. In addition, Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005, Infragistics Grid, Oracle 9i/10g, Web Services and ADO .NET are used.
Lead Consultant, Confidential (Part Time, Mar 2006 - May 2006)
Designed and developed client’s tax processing application using BizTalk 2006. The application maps and aggregates tax data from the input file and deliver the transformed data into Microsoft SQL server. Performance study was done to optimize the solution for 1/2 million input records. Microsoft BizTalk 2006 server, BizTalk mapping, orchestration and SQL adapter are used to develop the solution.
Lead Consultant, Confidential (May 2005 - Nov 2005)
Designed, developed, deployed and supported client’s invoicing system for Wide Area Workflow (WAWF). The system translates client’s invoice from its internal flat file format into WAWF format using BizTalk mapping. It correlates an invoice with its attachments and synchronizes their delivery sequences using BizTalk Orchestration. Microsoft BizTalk 2004 server is used to develop the solution.
Consultant, Confidential (Nov 2004 - May 2005)
- Designed and developed client’s BizTalk messaging hub. The messaging hub is used to route and map more than 44 types of source feeds among client’s AP/GL system, property management system and purchasing system. A BizTalk template solution and a setup tool were developed to automatically create the basic BizTalk solution framework for a given source feed. Microsoft BizTalk 2004 enterprise server, BizTalk mapping, BizTalk FTP adapter, BizTalk SMTP adapter and BizTalk SQL adapter are heavily used. The messaging hub is designed to have mission critical features such as load balancing, fail-over and easy disaster recovery. Fine tuning was done to enhance performance and system stability.
- Designed and developed web based message tracking system for high volume message flow. It allows one to query the message flow status of any given source, given time period and given file name filter.
- Designed and developed a windows service component for BizTalk monitoring. It monitors errors in event viewer and suspended queue items. It informs system administrator with emails when errors or suspended queue items occur.
Consultant, Confidential (May 2004 - Nov 2004)
Designed and developed InfoPath configuration utility. The configuration
utility is a Microsoft InfoPath based application designed to handle a large
amount of configuration data with complex hierarchical structure. The utility
uses InfoPath’s scripting language (jscript) to interact with InfoPath’s
document object model, validate configuration data and export the data into the
Migrated data warehousing hub application III to production. During the
migration process, multiple setup programs, ksh shell scripts and java/ant
based application were developed to facilitate the deployment and operation.
Training classes were developed and given to other team members.
Consultant, Confidential (January 2002 - April 2004)
Served as "Subject Matter Expert" for the development of A Grants Reporting
Tool (GRT). GRT is a mission critical web portal based on ASP.NET technology
and Oracle database. Many solutions were provided for special features and
Designed and developed BizTalk solution for the client’s invoicing system. It
interfaces with backend legacy system using flat file format and interfaces
with external trading partners using EDI X12 810, 864, 820 and 824. Biztalk
2004 is used to develop the solution. Send ports, receive ports, schemas,
mappings, EDI base adapter and Biztalk orchestration are used to handle message
routing, mapping, and trading process synchronization. Setup scripts are also
developed to automate deployment process.
Technical Lead Consultant, Confidential (October 2002 - April
Designed and developed BizTalk messaging components to handle high volume XSLT
transformation. It retrieves and sends XML message from/to MQSeries Queue 5.2
through BizTalk Adapter for MQSeries. Multiple servers were used to provide
load balancing and failover. Various configuration factors were evaluated and
fine-tuned to find and remove processing bottlenecks.
Designed and developed Close Acceleration Project (CAP) application. This is a
financial application that provides the functionalities of configuration and
operation of monthly close. The front-end was developed using Microsoft Studio
.NET 2003 in C#. ADO .NET, web service and Crystal Report were heavily used.
Oracle packages were heavily used for the database backend. Multi-Threaded
model was used to enhance application performance.
Heavily involved in the design, development and operation of a large-scale
data-warehousing application P3I. This application provides a centralized data
hub for data loading, transforming, reconciling, archiving and data mart
exporting of any XML based messages. The processing engine was developed using
J2EE technology under Weblogic servers. MQ Series queues were used to provide
high availability and asynchronous messaging. iPlanet LDAP server was used to
provide centralized configuration information. XML, XSD and XSLT were heavily
used to provide data validation, transformation and a common data layer.
Consultant, Confidential (September 2001 - December 2001)
Designed four B2B connectivity projects using Microsoft BizTalk and led
development team through full development cycle. The BizTalk projects serve as
bridges between the client’s internal SAP system and external trading partners. The
connectivity to external trading partners can be EDI based through EDI gateway
Inovis, CIDX based through Elemica as trading hub, or RosettaNet based through
direct http link. BizTalk orchestration and messaging are heavily used. XML
transformation between the SAP IDOC, an internal defined XML format and CIDX
XML format are frequently encountered. Business documents used in the system
include Purchase Order (PO), PO Change/Cancel, PO Response, Invoice, Advanced
Shipping Notice, Bill of Lading and Shipping Instruction.
Senior Principal Engineer, VerticalNet Inc. (March 2001 - September 2001)
Designed, developed and deployed B2B integration system using Biztalk messaging
to handle mortgage insurance application and response with the client’s trading
partners. The system was developed to handle the XSLT transformation between
MISMO XML and the client’s proprietary flat file formats. It handles document
routing, queuing, asynchronous delivery and certificate-based authentication.
It allows additional trading partner to be added to the system through a
configuration utility. It integrates with the client’s backend though AIC.
Active/Passive clustering was used to provide high reliability and failover
Director of Development, VerticalNet Inc. (October 2000 - March 2001)
Senior Project Lead, VerticalNet Inc. (January 2000 - October 2000)
Project Lead, VerticalNet Inc. (June 1999 - January 2000)
Senior Software Engineer, Users Inc. (June 1997 - June 1999)
Led a technical team to design, implement, and deploy four B2B integration kits
on top of the SI system. They are Biztalk to Biztalk kit, webMethods to
webMethods kit, EDI kit and generic kit. The kits provided packaged solutions
to jumpstart the B2B integration between VerticalNet and its trading partners.
All four kits include setup application on both VerticalNet side and its
trading partner side. The BizTalk to BizTalk kit uses Microsoft reliable
envelope to achieve guaranteed delivery and message routing, https for
transport and encryption and digital certificate for authentication. The
webMethods to webMethods kit uses its built-in mechanism for message routing,
guaranteed delivery and security integration. In the EDI kit, EasyAccess 2000
is used to facilitate integration with IBM VAN. Administration tools were also
provided for trading partner management, process template definition and
automatic system setup for a given trading partner. Visual Basic, Microsoft SQL
Server, Biztalk server, webMethods, EasyAccess 2000, EDI/VAN, ASP and XML were
- Led a technical team to design, implement, and deploy VerticalNet
Order Management Fulfillment (OMF) system and Supplier Integration (SI) system.
The OMF system manages purchase order life cycles. The SI system enables
electronic document exchange between VerticalNet and its trading partners. The
systems were built in http/XML based, loosely coupled architecture to allow
enterprise level integration of heterogeneous systems. The systems were
designed and developed with features like guaranteed delivery, high
scalability, full redundancy, integrated security, transaction and automatic
document routing. Yantra was used as OMF platform and Biztalk server was used
as the central messaging server. Visual C++, Visual Basic, Visual J++,
Microsoft SQL Server, webMethods, EasyAccess 2000, XML, XSL, DTD, EDI/VAN and
SOAP were used. Microsoft Project was also used for project management.
Designed internal EAI and external B2B connectivity framework for the
VerticalNet eXtended platform. Implemented the B2B connectivity part of the
framework. The system was designed to handle the connectivity to an Enterprise
Information System (EIS) using JCA adapters or webMethods adapters. It provided
message queuing using JMS compliant queue. It provided content-based message
routing using a router manager and routers. It provided secure and guaranteed
delivery using the combination of the JMS queue and B2B integration tools such
as webMethods B2B server. J2EE/Java, EJB, MDB, stateless session bean, Weblogic
6.1, JMS queue, webMethods B2B server and Oracle 8.1 were used.
Defined VerticalNet schemas for Purchase Order (PO), PO Response and Advanced
Shipping Notice (ASN). The schemas were derived from the core elements of the
corresponding business documents in EDI X12, OAG, RosettaNet, cXML and CBL
Consultant, Enhanced Communications Corporation. (November 1996 - April 1997)
Designed, developed, deployed and supported Internet home banking web
application Personal Credit Union (PCU). Visual Basic 5.0, Visual InterDev
Designed, developed, deployed and supported credit union intranet web site
Designed, developed, deployed and supported Users’ online loan application for
credit union online user WebLoan. Symantec Visual Cafe) and java 1.02 were
Designed, developed and deployed COM/DCOM based three-tier architecture
framework. MUMPS database was used as the database tier. A data server
component was implemented as a MTS resource dispenser for database connection
pooling. It creates disconnected ADO recordsets as data return and serves as
the data tier. COM objects were developed as the business logic tier. ASP page
and/or ActiveX components were used as the presentation tier. The stability,
scalability and performance of the framework were stress tested. COM/DCOM,
Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS), Visual C++ 6.0, Active Template Library
(ATL), multi-threaded programming, synchronization, queuing, pooling and socket
programming were used in the development.
Designed, developed and deployed Users’ Lending Navigator, a large-scale
application built on top of the three-tier architecture framework. Skills
included ActiveX document, ActiveX control, Visual Basic 6.0 and digital
signing, MTS, COM/DCOM, Visual C++ 6.0 and ATL.
Project Manager, Philadelphia Financial Group (March 1996 - November 1996)
Designed and developed an Internet based system for voice notification of
emails. A java applet allows a user or an administrator to configure and test
the individual notification preferences. The server application is scheduled to
periodically retrieve email headers through POP3 and notify the corresponding
users by telephone call using a voice card. Skills included Visual Basic 4.0,
design and database stored procedure scripting.
Programmer/Analyst, Electronic Payment Services Corporation (June 1995 - March
C/Unix programming for the back office software of an insurance agent
supporting system. Development was done on a Pyramid mainframe computer running
Unix operating system. Unify relational database is used through its backend
- Led a technical team to develop an Insurance Communication
Network (ICN) Intranet System using CGI based web pages.
Designed and developed a complete banking adjustment system in a client-server
architecture. Borland Delphi was used on the client side and Oracle on the